BE(Civil), MS(Illinois), PEng, CEng,
BE(Civil), PEng, CEng, Eur.Ing, FIEK, FIET, MAAK(E), FICE, FIMunE, FCIWEM
Ishwarlal Becharbhai Patel started his career in 1954 as an Engineering Assistant with R.A. Sutcliffe in Nairobi, joining the practice on obtaining his Bachelor of Engineering in India. In 1959, he was awarded a Fullbright Scholarship to complete postgraduate studies at the University of Illinois.
After qualifying as a Master of Science, he spent three years at the world-famous Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in Chicago. Here he contributed to various multimillion-dollar projects and developed his skill and interest in high-rise urban structures.
Ishwarlal returned to Kenya and was appointed Chief Structural Engineer with Nairobi City Council in 1966. He went in private practice two years later partnering with H.S. Mangat to establish Mangat, I.B. Patel and Partners. As Partner-in-Charge of the Structural Division, his first skyscraper in Kenya was International Life House. Collaborating with many of the recognized Architects in East Africa, his visionary expertise is visible in the lodges and industrial structures in virtually every town in Kenya.
In 1972, he was appointed to represent Kenya on the Council of Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. His contribution to structural engineering continued during the 1990s to include Lonrho House, the Rahimtulla Tower, Citibank House and numerous other recognizable buildings on Nairobi's skyline. Ishwarlal was recognized by the Architectural Association of Kenya (AAK) in 2000 for his aesthetic and technical contributions to construction of the BAPS Temple.
Declared an Engineer Laureate of Kenya by the AAK in 2003, he was a Founder Member of the professional society in 1967. In 1968, he was also a Founder Member of the Association of Consulting Engineers of Kenya (ACEK).
Harcharan Singh Mangat graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology at Roorkee in 1955 with a first class degree in Civil Engineering. On his return to Kenya, he joined the Nairobi City Council and become the Deputy City Engineer in 1966.
At the city, he worked on the planning, design and the supervision of construction of the neighbourhoods, industrial and downtown areas of what is now the core of modern Nairobi. The municipal services of transportation, water, waste water and urban planning conducted by the City Engineer’s department of which he was in charge at that time have become the foundation upon which the rapid growth of a city of two hundred thousand to a burgeoning metropolis of over three million in the 21st century has taken place.
Seeing the growing opportunity for engineering services in the newly independent East African states, he segued into private practice. Under his guidance the firm has made a significant contribution towards the development Kenya. Of note are the many neighbourhoods and commercial areas throughout the country as well as water and waste water systems serving the conurbations of Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret, Thika and Nyeri together with numerous rural water supply schemes. The firm has grown to provide professional services for the built environment ranging from master plans, design, environmental impact assessments and project management through to information technology.
Harcharan has dedicated much of his time towards the development of the profession. He was elected Chairman of the East African Institute of Engineers which later spilt into country specific entities. He is a founder member and former Chairman of the Association of Consulting Engineers of Kenya and former Chairman of the Institution of Engineers of Kenya. He is a founder member of the Engineer Chapter of the Architectural Association of Kenya.